Grace Design Associates, Inc. is an award-winning, full service landscape firm with over twenty-five years of experience designing and building world-class gardens. Company founder and lead designer Margie Grace is the winner of the 2009 International Landscape Designer of the Year Award, the top honor in the field.
Grace Design's forté is distinctive design executed with the values of old world craftsmanship. Working in a wide range of design styles and budgets, the company creates gardens that connect with the unique character of the site, sit seamlessly in the environment, blend harmoniously with the architecture and reflect the client's aesthetic.
Every garden is custom-designed and custom-built. For each project, be it large or small, all materials -- including plants, trees, stone, fountains, statuary, garden furniture, and garden accessories -- are hand-selected by the firm's designers from the top growers and suppliers in the west. The result is a one-of-a-kind garden perfectly tailored to the client, the architecture, the site and the environment.
Grace Design Associates gardens have been built throughout Southern California, and increasingly throughout the Southwest, including the Pacific Northwest, Arizona, and New Mexcio.
Grace Design Associates is a leader in green design and sustainable construction methodologies and practices. Green before green was fashionable, the firm has pioneered the integrated team approach, working from the outset of the project with client, architect, interior designer, general contractor, engineers, specialized trades and other design and construction professionals. By working together from project inception through completion and ongoing maintenance, the client can be assured that the project has a green-friendly footprint, considers local architecture and client lifestyle, and maximizes building equipment, materials and other resources.
Grace Design Associates has been featured on HGTV's, "Landscapers' Challenge" and Discovery Channel's sustainable design show "Greenovate". ABC's reality show "Momma's Boys" was filmed at a coastal Santa Barbara estate with gardens designed and built by the firm. Grace Design Associates' work has also appeared in numerous regional and national publications, including The Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Traditional Home, Better Homes and Gardens, Garden Design, Sunset, California Homes, Garden Ideas, California Home + Design, Santa Barbara Seasons and Ventura Life & Style.
In addition to the 2009 International Landscape Designer of the Year Award, the firm won The Santa Barbara Contractors Association Builder of the Year for Best Landscape and Hardscape award in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2010. Recent residential landscape projects have been awarded the Montecito Beautiful Award and two categories of Santa Barbara Beautiful Awards.
Grace Design Associates' gardens have been featured on numerous garden tours, including the prestigious Ojai Valley Garden Tour, the Garden Lanes Garden Tour, Gardens of Garden Street and the Parade of Green Building, and Built Green Santa Barbara Expo Conference and Tour. Grace Design gardens have been the setting for a number of fundraising events for local non-profits, including CAMA (Community Arts Music Association), Domestic Violence Solutions (DVS), and the University of California at Santa Barbara's Arts and Lectures with celebrated cellist YoYo Ma.
Margie Grace, founder and lead designer of Grace Design Associates, Inc., is a landscape designer and a licensed landscape contractor. An avid traveler and perpetual student of gardens, she has made her own garden in Spain, Australia and New Zealand over the past three decades. Margie currently gardens in Santa Barbara. She prides herself on bringing the values of old world craftsmanship and a sophisticated design sense to her work on gardens, large and small, residential and commercial.
Margie's formal training is in the life and earth sciences. She holds a bachelor of arts degree in biology with a minor in geology, awarded in 1981 from the University of California at Santa Cruz. Margie has also studied landscape design and illustration extensively at the University of California at Los Angeles.
Grace Design Associates is an integrated landscape design and build firm headquartered in Santa Barbara, California, working throughout the Western United States. They provide a full range of professional landscape services, including:
- Site surveying and analysis
- Landscape design in a wide range of styles -- the landscape design is client-driven with a keen sensibility for the site, the architecture, the community and the environment
- Landscape plans -- specific plans including demolition, grading, drainage, irrigation, hardscape, accessory buildings, landscape lighting, planting and site amenity specifications
- Project permits and agency review
- Landscape installation -- demolition, grading, drainage, hardscape, all built elements including patios, walkways, paths, fences, walls, driveways, fountains, pools, ponds, pergolas, arbors, gazebos, outdoor kitchens, fire pits irrigation, planting, landscape lighting, audio/visuals, garden furniture and site accessories.
- Sustainable landscape design and building -- cutting edge green construction practices, methodologies and materials; permaculture; water conservation; integrated pest management; rainwater harvesting and distribution; green roofs; xeriscaping; drought tolerant planting; fire safe landscape design; gray water systems; and edible landscapes
- Horticultural maintenance of Grace-built gardens.
- Landscape Consultation
- Landscape fire damage estimates and restoration